Oak Hill was an early home of John Marshall, the Great Chief Justice. The wood-frame dwelling, completed in 1773 when John Marshall was 17, is a classic example of Virginia’s colonial vernacular. John Marshall became the owner of Oak Hill in 1785 when his father, Thomas Marshall, moved to Kentucky. Although John Marshall lived mostly in Richmond and Washington during his adult life, he kept and used his Fauquier County property, making improvements and using it as a retreat. In 1819 he built an attached Classical Revival house as a residence for his son, Thomas.
Oak Hill, circa 1773, image courtesy of APVA Preservation Virginia.
In 1835 Oak Hill was inherited by Thomas Marshall’s son, John Marshall II, whose “overindulgence in hospitality” forced him to sell Oak Hill to his brother, Thomas. The property left the family after Thomas Marshall, Jr.’s, death during the Civil War.
Oak Hill can be seen from Interstate 66, and is located north of the highway just east of the exit for Route 17 near Delaplane. It is a private residence and is not open to the public.