Shockoe Hill Cemetery provides a peaceful setting for the gravesite of John and Mary Willis Ambler Marshall. John Marshall was buried in the family plot July 10th, 1835. Situated just a few minutes from the John Marshall House, it is located on Hospital Street between Second and Fourth Street.
Shockhoe Hill Cemetery, where the grave sites of John and Mary Willis Ambler Marshall lie together is the second oldest “municipal” cemetery in Richmond, opened in 1822.
The cemetery, established in 1822, was the second municipal graveyard to be opened in Richmond, St. John’s Church being the first city sponsored site in 1799. Many of John Marshall’s neighbors such Pastor John D. Blair, Reverend John Buchanan, John Wickam and John Harvie are interred nearby. Famous politicians, such as Governor William H. Cabell (1805-1808) and Civil War spy Elizabeth Van Lew are represented in the cemetery.
Restoration of the gravesite was last done in 1998 by Clinton Bush and Alan Rutherford of Cathedral Stone Products, Inc. of Jessup, Maryland. The tomb was cleaned, restored and leveled. Colonial Ironworks of Petersburg restored the iron fence surrounding the site.