At age 35, Thomas Marshall moved his young, growing family (John, 1755; Elizabeth, 1756; Mary, 1757; Thomas, 1761; James, 1764) to his newly constructed one-and-a-half story frame house on a beautiful rise just north of present-day Markham, Virginia. Five more children were born to Thomas and Mary Marshall while living at the Hollow (Judith, 1766; William and Charles, 1767; Lucy, 1768; Alexander, 1770) bringing the total number of children living in the house to ten before moving to Oak Hill near Delaplane, Virginia. In addition to the 12 Marshall family members, a Scottish minister, James Thomson, came to live there temporarily in 1767, later becoming minister of Leeds Parish.
The Fauquier County Deed Book reveals that Thomas Marshall leased a 330 acre tract encompassing this property from Thomas Ludwell Lee and Richard Henry Lee in 1765. The lease was to run the lives of Thomas, Mary, or John, whichever was longest. Unlike many log houses built on the frontier at that time, the Hollow is a rare existing example of a wood frame house that has not been incorporated into a more recent structure.
For more information please visit: Friends Of The Hollow