The John Marshall House is located in Richmond’s Historic Court End and was built in 1790 by John Marshall, known as the Great Chief Justice of the United States. He lived there for forty-five years until his death in 1835. The property remained in the Marshall Family until 1911, when it was sold to the City of Richmond. Learning of the City’s plans for the House, members of the Preservation Virginia and other civic leaders petitioned the City to preserve the House. The city entered into a lease agreement with Preservation Virginia to preserve, restore, and open the house to the public in 1913. During that time two major restorations of the House have taken place and an impressive collection of furnishings and decorative arts have been acquired to add to the interpretation of John Marshall’s Richmond home. In April 2006, the city transferred ownership to Preservation Virginia.
The John Marshall Foundation supports the John Marshall House, owned and managed by Preservation Virginia, to see that it is well-preserved, maintained, and serves as the premier historic site or “touchstone” for visitors to learn about the life and contributions of John Marshall.
The house is an outstanding example of Federal architecture and retains most of its original features. The house contains a rich collection of family-owned furnishings and Marshall memorabilia.
The John Marshall House garden was designed in the 1970s by landscape architect Kenneth Higgins. The garden features plants that were popular in the 18th century. Typically in spring, these Virginia gardens would include a wide variety of herbs, fruits, vegetables and flowers.
For a virtual tour of the house visit:
Take A Tour
The John Marshall House is located in Richmond’s historic Court End at 818 East Marshall Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219. It is within walking distance of the State Capitol and the Convention Center.
The John Marshall House is open by appointment only for the months of January and February.
March – December
- Friday and Saturday 10 a.m. – 5:00 p.m
- Sunday 12 p.m. – 5 p.m
Private and group tours are available by prior arrangement by calling (804) 648-7998. Reservations for tours must be made at least one week in advance. The minimum fee for private and group tours is $100.00.